The name of “Feldspar” refers to a group of Aluminum Silicate of potassium, sodium, and calcium. The chief use of Feldspar mineral is in the Ceramic and Glass Industries. Smaller quantities are used in the manufacturing of Tiles, Whiteware, and Sanitaryware. Other uses of Feldspar include Catalysts, Acid resistant and Decorative Stone as a flux or binding agent in certain scanning Soaps and artificial teeth.
|Silica||SiO2||66% (+/- 1%)||68% (+/- 1%)|
|Alumina||Al2O3||18% (+/- 0.5%)||17% (+/- 0.5%)|
|Potassium Oxide||K2O||12.8% (+/- 1%)||10% (+/- 1%)|
|Sodium Oxide||Na2O||2% (+/- 1%)||3% (+/- 1%)|
|Ferric Oxide||Fe2O3||0.06% (+/- 0.01%)||0.08% (+/- 0.02%)|
|Loss on Ignition||LOI||0.1%||0.2%|
Silent Features of Potash Feldspar
- Best for Ceramic & Sanitary Ware Manufacturing – Application in both Glaze (K2O > 11.5%) & Body (K2O >10.5%) – gives White Firing Colour.
- Glass Grades – better fluxing from K2O > 10% (total alkalies > 13%), Alumina > 17% for strength, Low Iron Fe2O3 at < 0.5%.
- High Potash K2O >11% for Flux coated Welding Electrodes.
Application of Potash Feldspar
In the manufacturing of ceramic products, Feldspar mineral is the second most important ingredient after clay. Feldspar does not have a strict melting point since it melts gradually over a range of temperatures. This greatly facilitates the melting of quartz and clays and, through appropriate mixing, allows modulations of this important step of ceramic making. Feldspars are used as fluxing agents to form a glassy phase at low temperatures and as a source of alkalies and alumina in glazes. They improve the strength, toughness, and durability of the ceramic body, and cement the crystalline phase of other ingredients, softening, melting and wetting other batch constituents.
Potash Feldspar mineral assists the enamel composition, assuring the absence of defects and the neatness of the end product: e.g. enamel frits, ceramic glazes, ceramic tile glazes, sanitary-ware, tableware, electrical porcelain and giftware.
- Wall & Floor Tiles – glazed Tiles, Vitrified Homogenous Tiles, Fast Firing, Third Firing.
- Vitreous Porcelain – Tableware & Other Ceramic product.
- Enameled Ceramics & Potteries.
- Technical & Advanced Ceramics.
- Vitrified Pipes & other Products.
- Frits & Glaze.